Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ground Control to Captain Dave...

A lot of you have emailed me about the disappearance of Capt. Dave's blog, Flight Level 390. Capt. Dave was one of my first readers, and through that I was lucky enough to discover his blog. I contacted him and while I won't say what the conversation entailed, I will assure you that it was a personal decision and it appears he just needed a break. There were no company directives, he didn't get in trouble for blogging, there are no health issues, and to the conspiracy theorists who think that Capt. Dave wasn't even real or a pilot, I can assure you that he is. And, while I miss reading his wonderful posts, I respect that he's just a man who needed to take some time off from blogging.

I do hope that he decides to blog again, as his blog helped me greatly in my fears about flying. I developed a fear of flying around my late teens, and while I still flew, the fear would be a factor in my travels, like a looming menace that would step out from the shadows the moment that I forgot about it. It seemed to say, "You still have the return flight, where I can still get you."

When I started reading his blog, it put a human in the cockpit who was making educated, practiced and safe decisions, and knew that aircraft inside and out. And, that just like us, he wants to get home alive. Because of his first-hand personal perspective of being the captain who shoulders the job and his extremely well-written, and damn interesting chronicling of the decisions he and his co-pilot make to get all the "souls on board" there safely, the feeling of  being at the mercy of only a huge, impersonal, loud and scary machine pretty much ceased for me. I know of others who his blog helped greatly, so Capt. Dave, once you feel like it, you are most welcome here.

Speaking of those who fly for a living, my sister had a layover last weekend, so we spent some time downtown, as she stays at the Westin Bonaventure. Now that downtown, especially near that area, has some restaurants to go to and a movie theater, we have choices when she has short layovers like this one. We ate at The Yard House, which is in LA.

So far, the new job is going really well. My coworkers are funny and smart, and my boss is awesome as is the VP, who is an approachable, smart as hell, funny and will fight for what is the best for her team. I've even found a nice respite that I take during lunch. I park my car in a place that gives me front row center to the landing planes at the Van Nuys Airport, and sit in the passenger seat of my car to write for a bit. I don't like going out for lunch, as there aren't really any places to eat that aren't fast food chains, tons of calories, gross or where I have to look at the blight of Van Nuys. The only thing that Van Nuys has going for it as far as I'm concerned, is that I drive against traffic to get to and from work, which makes for an easy, fast commute.

But still, I have to look at Van Nuys both ways. 

21 comments:

WPC said...

Thanks for the update on Capt Dave. I found his blog through yours and read it regularly. It was frustrating to have so many questions about what happened. Like you, and I'm sure all his other readers, I understand his desire for a break, wish him well, but also hope and pray he returns to writing.

Jim McDonough said...

Agree with the previous comment about Captain Dave. I miss his updates. There are other pilot bloggers but none with his writing ability.

Jim McDonough said...

Agree with the prior comment about Captain Dave. There are other pilot bloggers out there, but I have not found one with his perspective or, frankly, his writing talent. He's missed.

Anne said...

You are welcome WPC, and me too. Thanks for commenting! A LOT of people loved his blog, myself included. You can count my prayers along with yours that he comes back!

Anne said...

Jim, he is indeed missed. I'm forever grateful to him for his helping me overcome my flying jitters.

Noella said...

CaptainDave is a very fine, intelligent and humble man. I miss his blog too, and you can count my prayers amongst yours, Anne.

LMH said...

I miss Captain Dave (with a capital C), but even if he needed a break, I wish he would have left up his other posts. I hope all is well with him. His blog influenced me to become an air traffic controller.

Anne said...

LMH, that's wonderful! I'll pass a not along to him and let him know that. You must have a high stress threshold!

Noella, I totally concur. thank you both for your comments.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through captain Dave. Thanks for the update. A clear imposter set up a blog at weebly.com with some of his old posts and tried to create a few new ones but the tone was way of. Glad he is ok and I hope he returns. Good writing is hard to find.

Cheers,
Rick

garry_collins said...

Please pass on my thanks to Captain (with a capital C) Dave for a work of art I loved to read. Let him know it's his blog to write, or not. His choice. Though I would encourage him to throw them In a book someone after he retires!

Marco said...

Even in Europe this wise captain had a follower. I loved the blog and the way he always brought the personal touch in combination with absolute knowledge of his airplanes.

Thanks for filling me in, I was stunned to see that the blog was gone.

But all respect to the blogger: I can understand that sometimes a little distance is necessary.

HunnerWoof said...

Kind of weird, his site is semi-active once again with old posts and messed up formatting. Maybe Blogger is trying to force him back.

I miss his posts and hope he returns soon.

Speaking of which...your posts have gotten a bit infrequent, too! : )

Rich said...

Whenever I happen to be a passenger on a "Fifi" (Daves nickname for the A320), or even when I watch one of these engineering feats fly by at whatever flight level: I'm bound to think about Captain Dave.

He's the man who introduced me into an all-overall picture of today's flying, and what it means. And he introcuced me in that "smoke and mirrors" flying thing as well, aka today's advanced technology versus some almost ancient Boeing 737-200-steam gauge which he acutally was flyingin in his younger years. But still he had his sharp pen and knew the mathematics of older times.

Captain Dave proved to be "synthetic" and "raw" at the same time. He somewhat made both ends meet. Amongst other fine aviation bloggers, to me he is the best blogger of this kind of all times....so far.

Can it be topped? Beyond Flightlevel 390?

Robin Wendell said...

Thanks so much for the update on Captain Dave! I was worried. Thanks also for your writings relentless charm. Your observations of life have entertained me for years and I am greatful. Xoxo to you and the felines!

Danny said...

I too miss FL390 terribly. I was in a high stress job for almost 48 years and the good Captain's blog helped me not only with fear of flying but reminded me of what a Real high stress job was. I commend Captain Dave, a very talented writer as well as an obviously talented pilot. Anne, I would hope you could ask Captain Dave to at least repost his old blogs in their entirety so that they could continue to educate and inspire many more good souls. As much as I would like to see his comments I understand his need for a break. Should he decide to begin anew it will be a joy for me. I would love to hear his comments on MH370 as well as his theories.

Anonymous said...

A wish/hope/please - big time
missed, outstanding insight no
longer available.
Patiently waiting for his book. :-)
Mark

Anonymous said...

I also miss Captain Dave and every so often when I think of him, I'll go search the web in hope that he is back and spreading all the good things that he did before.

If you happen to read this Capitan Dave, thanks and know that I am just one of many that hope to ready you again!

Life on the virtual line continues :-);

Frank Ch. Eigler said...

Even if Captain Dave decides not to blog again, the old content was so wonderful, it is a terrible shame to have it just disappear - poof.

Danintv said...

I greatly miss Captain Dave's blogs. Would it be possible to pass along to the good Captain his loyal reader's desire to have access to the old blogs at least? My best to you as well as Dave and his wife-of-his youth. They are greatly missed and I've found nothing aviation related to replace it. Here's hoping..........

Anne said...

Hello everyone, and most recently Danintv, I agree with you all, and will pass along all of your messages. And, I'll ask if he wouldn't mind posting the old blogs. It helped ease my fears of flying, and I can now during take off, think of a "Captain Dave" being at the helm and it calms me immediately if I'm feeling antsy.

It's incredible how many referrals I get to this post STILL, from people all over the world looking for his blog. Unfortunately, with popular blogs, you attract kooks and crazies, many whom are hateful and downright scary (I can speak from personal experience as I experienced this at the height of my blog's popularity), and I think that's why he eventually took his down. It's a shame. But, I'll let him know how loved he is and certainly forward your kind posts. And then maybe...just maybe... Well, one can dream.

Anonymous said...

Yes Anne - Capt Dave was the man, miss him so, his writing
was too cool, as an aviation junkie, he was dead on.
If not a blog, please write a book! :-)
Take care, Merry Christmas.