Monday, July 04, 2011

Taking Cover Behind the Couch I hope you all had a Happy 4th if you live here in the US. Poor Oliver didn't enjoy it, as when I came back from watching a fireworks show, this is where he was, hiding behind the couch. Atticus was under my bed and both indicated no signs of emerging any time soon. Scout, however, my only female cat, was on top of my bed, on her pillow, not a care in the world.

I however did enjoy it, taking a bottle of chilled white wine down the street to watch the Lakeside Country Club's fireworks show, open container laws be damned. I sat next to an old hippie/biker dude and his wife among the crowd of neighbors who gather annually for the great show. It was warm, very "4th of July" weather. A true warm summer night, which can be a rare thing in Los Angeles, as it can cool off considerably once the sun dips past the horizon.

As the fireworks exploded and boomed in the sky above, I uncorked the bottle and poured into my glass, the brilliant light reflecting off the swirling wine. I toasted our country's independence, those near and dear, and my general happiness. Things are good, in perspective and professionally going well. I tapped into my own creativity, resourcefulness and ingenuity to create a home in my apartment and even though that involved spending some money, I'm now less than 1k from being 100% debt free. I have a job where I work with a great group of people and get paid to write. And, have a fabulous boss. I know things can change for me in an instant, but in my choices to live my life my way, that's what I signed up for. So right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

July 4, 2011 - Toluca Lake Country Club FireworksDuring the show, I took this picture with my little point and shoot Canon Elph digital. It's one of those lucky shots where timing is everything. A family was standing across the street in front of where I was sitting just as a car was about to pass, shining light on them. Being a residential neighborhood, there were few cars and I was sitting with the majority of the crowd on the street curb. I snapped this photo, and the car that I saw as an annoyance at the time ended up providing an almost cinematic lighting effect on the family watching the show.

Happy Birthday America. Here's to spending many more together.

No comments: