Thursday, June 24, 2010

Shannon and I hung out at Boardner's a couple weeks ago, a bar with a past. The Black Dahlia used to hang there frequently before she met her grisly demise. Perhaps her killer did too. It was a great night with an interesting mix of people, feeling more like a quirky local bar in a David Lynch film than a place located right in the heart of Hollywood. After finding front row street parking, a complete impossibility on a Friday night in Hollywood, we maneuvered through the tacky high-skirted twenty-somethings tottering awkwardly around in their high heels to be greeted by a huge African-American doorman who like the bar, had seen some things in his time.

Shannon and Me @ Boardners in Hollywood

When we entered, we left Hollywood present and ventured into its past. We settled into a booth and enjoyed conversation, hysterical laughs, eclectic people watching and drinks. A waitress from Bulgaria waited on us. I enjoyed a pomegranate cosmo.

Me @ Boardners in HollywoodShannon took me here when I first moved back to Los Angeles in 2007, and I remember that night so well. I was new to an old city, and reuniting with an old friend. Everything that was old, was new again. I wasn't dressed for a night out, in fact I'm not even sure that most of my clothes had arrived yet, but I didn't care. I was back in Los Angeles and in the company of a best friend to ease me back into living here again. It was weird to be back, walking familiar streets that had changed so much in just five years. New bars, stores, complexes, but the same air and tall palm trees. On our way out, we passed a group of about ten girls coming from another club. They were supporting their friend who was more than three sheets to the wind. She looked at us gleefully and said drunkenly, "I'm twenty-one."

Her friends giggled, especially when we brightened and wished her a happy birthday.

It was a good night and a good welcome back.

I'm going through the same thing at Disney, in my same job, but different. And like I felt about Los Angeles then, I'm so thankful to be back there. The new-oldness is starting to even out into being my present, and I'm able to plan things. I'm so much better with structure than without, even though I will never, ever be a morning person.

A friend and I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D and it was fantastic. Before that, we joined one of her friends who also works for Disney, for sushi on the West Side. Delicious sushi and I really liked the friend. Just a good, positive energy. Another good night.

Now, bed and my audio book awaits.