Sunday, January 31, 2010

On Friday night, Shannon and I went to Out 4 Blood, A Night Featuring Artists from the True Blood Soundtrack at the Echoplex. Funny, as it was the same venue where we'd put on The Crystal Method concert when I was at Avid. It's a great venue with lots of places to roam, dance and two bars so you don't have to wait too long for your drink. It's in a weird area and easy to miss, but once you know where it is, you're good.

I'd asked Shannon if he wanted to go and since he hasn't seen True Blood, explained the music to him. I said, "Southern Fried Rock with a mix of Louisiana Delta Blues and a dash of sex and decadence."

He was game.

He sent me some music from the Tarbox Ramblers, and asked me if what I was talking about was similar to their sound. I dug the band so much that I followed them on Twitter and asked why they hadn't been discovered by the show yet. To my surprise, they answered, thanking me for the kind thought and said, "Maybe someday!" I was so moved by their music that I forwarded the song "Already Gone," to David Simon, creator of The Wire, whose new series "Treme" premieres on HBO in April of this year. He's a huge fan of New Orleans music and I'd remembered the incredible music on his iPod when he put it on shuffle one day in The Wire writer's office. He was the first person I thought of when I heard the haunting, storied Delta sounds of the band. He wrote me back, "That was awesome, thanks."

My neighbor Amy went as well, dressed as Amy Burley, the ill-fated character from the show, a waitress at Merlotte's who has a penchant for Jason Stackhouse and V, the drug of choice in the show, Vampire Blood. I knew she was going with friends, and we saw her in line after I scored a parking place across the street thanks to Shannon-Vision. She looked great, and we all sat and talked before the music came on. First band up was Pilbilly Nights, headed by one of the actors from the show, Todd Lowe who plays Terry Bellefleur. I took a picture of Amy with him after the show, and I would have had one too, except my camera card was full. No worries, as it's meeting them that's the fun part. As we stood in a hugging pose, Shannon, his always professional photographer eye at work, directed Todd to lower his chin for our shot. Without protest, he did and Shannon clicked...only to have the shot be for his memory only. Again, wasn't a big deal. The moment presented itself and we went for it. And, had fun.

John Doe, formerly from X played a stirring solo set next, followed by a fun set by Jace Everett who sings the theme song, "Bad Things." Next up, was CC Adcock, who just killed it. That's where the foot stomping and hollering began for those of us who let the music do its voodoo. It was pure Louisiana swamprock underscored with an infectious, deep and dark bayou rhythm. Awesome to the core.

Other cast members were there to introduce bands and mingle with the crowd, Stephen Moyer, Anna Paquin, Chris Bauer and Michelle Forbes. Everyone was in good spirits and having a great time. The great part, is that the Echoplex looks a little like a roadhouse on the inside, so the ambiance was just perfect for the show.

Tonight, I just returned from a fun Italian dinner in Echo Park to celebrate a friend's birthday. I'm stuffed to the gills. It was a good mix of people with again, lots of laughs and clinking of glasses. Shannon and a few others lost it when I accidentally dropped some filling from a cannoli into the candle and extinguished it. Trust me, funnier in person. Turned out that he'd photographed the restaurant owner's wedding! When we walked in, the two recognized each other at the same time. Small world indeed.

On another note, I bought my first audiobook through iTunes to help tackle my nighttime mind restlessness. So far, so good. Even if it takes me a bit to drift off, I'm lying in bed which is the important thing. My eyes are closed, my body is getting rest and my mind is passive, not active if that makes sense. And, I've been getting into bed earlier because I'm looking forward to continuing the story. I bought Stephen King's Under The Dome. Perfect for listening to at nighttime because it has a mysterious, supernatural element to it. Much like a campfire story. :)

So, off to bed. I'm up later than I should be but I wanted to finish this entry. After all, I promised.