Thursday, January 21, 2010

I've absolutely loved the rains we're getting here. They provide a beautiful soundtrack for fading off to a nap, writing, life and just being. The other night, I was driving in it, and Jeff Buckley's "Dream Brother" came on the air. A mesmerizingly perfect soundtrack to nature's perfect visual. My headlights shining off the vinyl-like asphalt, drops of rain passing in front of globes of blue light from the street lamps, silver diamonds reflecting red, blue, yellow and white off my windshield before my wipers turned them into fast fading streaks. I was sixteen again, just discovering the freedom that a car brings to you and how it enables you to decide how you see the world.

We've also had lightning and thunder the last three days, which is incredibly rare for here. When the thunder clapped as if feet above our building, Oliver and Atticus launched like flying squirrels off their cat trees and ran into my room to hide under the bed. Only my female cat Scout and I remained in my living room. "Looks like you and I are the only ones with a pair of balls," I said to her. I opened the window to hear more. I miss the thunderstorms that living in a four season climate brings. Sure, we have four seasons in Los Angeles, but ours are found in the diet section. As I've mentioned before, growing up in the Midwest had a huge effect on my love of thunderstorms. More are expected tomorrow, in fact it's supposed to be the most serious of the lot.

I can't wait.

I'm continuing to live, if that makes sense, in the wake of the layoff. I'm going out with friends, reconnecting with others and enjoying my neighbors. I still make my daily coffee runs and am looking for my next job. The freelance one starts next week, so the double salary will be a great thing. I also have an awesome party coming up because my friend's company is launching their book, About Face, a stunning limited-edition art photography book shot by leading celebrity photographer John Russo. The book is gorgeous, as is its subject matter! It contains black and white portraits of Hollywood’s hot young male stars, many of whom will be at the party. I'm so proud of my friend, because she's hella talented and a just a stellar person. I had dinner a couple weeks ago with her, her husband and darling four-year-old daughter. I hadn't seen their daughter in a while, and boy they grow fast! We had such a great time, with plenty of laughs. Once again, I was reminded of the special people in my life. I'm so lucky in that regard. It's why I don't tolerate drama and bullshit, because I am surrounded by and know so much better. If I sense someone isn't genuine, or they do something that proves they aren't, then out they go. I approach work situations the same way. When I met my boss from my last job, I knew he was the real deal, genuine and talented. I'm still in touch with him and his wife, and feel I've not only had the pleasure of working with him, but also made a friend.

I got a bite on my resume from a company to which I applied. Nice to have that happen so soon after the layoff. It didn't hurt my ego one bit. And guess what? The woman who called me is a huge fan of The Wire. I can't underestimate the street cred, pun very intended, that working on that show has given me here in Los Angeles. Thank you, David Simon for that.

Speaking of that, I was excited when I saw Dominic Lombardozzi, who played Herc in "The Wire," going all Jack Bauer on Jack Bauer in this season's "24." "24" has been really good

Lastly, I still absolutely love my car. Every time I get in it, I get a little rush. For a little Friday fun, I found this clip of my car...yes, my car in a scene from the movie "Twilight." Same color, make, the whole thing. With the rains making the roads slick, I wonder if I could try the little spin out maneuver that the vampire does here. Watch this clip and tell me who's the real star in it. Hmmm? Not that I'm biased or anything.