Tuesday, December 08, 2009

It looks like I have an update to my "Thankful" post.

"Thankful...

For having a great job, having had a great job, and still having my health, my family and most recently...my most awesome car."

And so on... the rest stays the same.

I had just been telling a neighbor that no one is guaranteed a job, and that I live my life with the knowledge that I could get the call the next day that says, sorry, we're laying you off.

I got that call the very next day. In fact, 120 people in my company got that call. And I'm one of the lucky ones. They're keeping me until December 31st. I'm one of about ten that they kept until then, the rest were laid off immediately. My boss was also laid off, and like me is one of the ten who are staying until New Year's Eve.

I'm okay about it, and not freaked out at all. I'm optimistic, seeing it as an opportunity for something new. And, know that for six months I had a great job and did great work there that will certainly pad my portfolio. I guess I'm so mellow about it because I've been through this so many times that I'm almost a professional at being downsized. When companies cut, creative is usually the first to go. I've been laid off, companies have crumbled under my feet, been bought, contract jobs that I've had have ended suddenly due to cost cuts or a regime change, etc. It's par for the course. This was a full-time job and I'll get severance pay, unused vacation and all the bells and whistles they give you to help your "transition."

And, what I told my neighbor was the absolute truth. I lived every day as if I would get that call, and was thankful that I had a job like that which not only was an incredible experience and awesome opportunity, it got me through six months of a bad economy. I took nothing for granted, and I won't in my next job either. Anyone who thinks they're indispensable, is well, kidding themselves. And, I've seen plenty of "indispensable" people, some who were very famous even, be forced out, laid off or fired. Others have dropped dead of heart attacks at young ages. And I mean that literally.

And that's also where perspective comes in. I've got it in spades. Jobs come and go. Your passion, integrity, sense of self and talent are yours to keep, no matter what. And, it's the people in your life, your health and freedom that are what's important.

Even when you have to put the acquisition of the designer purse on hold.