Monday, November 09, 2009

So much has happened in the past few weeks that instead of writing several small posts like I told myself I would, I've let my detailing of events on this blog back up like documents in a print cue for a printer that's run out of paper. So, I'm sitting in Starbucks, wrapped in a shawl that my sister brought me back from Kuwait City, and I'm going to try to do the best that I can.

In short, I learned I was having a harder time than I thought in dealing with the death of a friend, bought a new car, had a wonderful reunion dinner with old roommates and great friends, am getting "friended" like mad from my grade school friends on Facebook, (you diligent little things you!), my mom came to visit, I'm still enjoying the job, especially this last weekend when we put on an awesome show with The Crystal Method. Oh yes we did.

That about sum it up?

First, for those of you who asked about the replacement, excuse me... there is no replacement for my beloved Honda Civic, but the car that I now drive, I bought a 2008 Volvo C30 T5S. It's silver, sleek, fast and apparently pretty unique. I get complimented on it more than I ever imagined, followed with being told that it's the first one like it they've ever seen. Even now, when I walked into Starbucks, one of the workers whom I'm friendly with told me she loved my Volvo and mentioned seeing it in Twilight. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that.

Yes, I drive Edward Cullen's (the vampire played by Robert Pattinson) Volvo from Twilight.

Shut up.

Anyway, aside from being the vampire's car of choice, it is a unique looking car and for lack of a better word, I just fucking love it. I've caught many people eyeing it as I drive by or see them from inside Starbucks checking it out in the parking lot. Who knew? I knew that I loved it, but it's always fun when a car you drive gets a reaction like that. Especially in a town that's pretty jaded when it comes to cars. And, I'm over the moon about the incredible deal I got on it. Unheard of. It was diligence, patience, research, great timing and luck that I got this car for the price that I did. And, having just gone through the Volvo site and seeing the cost of the features and packages it has, I really scored. It had been barely driven, was a trade-in at a Toyota dealer, less than a year old from purchase and is in perfect condition. Every time that I have to drive somewhere, I look forward to driving it because it's a fun, fast sporty car with awesome handling. Here are some pics I took of it.

My new car!

My new car!

The week before last, my mom came to visit and we had a great time. We ate out, talked, enjoyed the Halloween decor and costumes in Toluca Lake and then in bawdy and um...ballsy West Hollywood, had a drink with Shannon at Nolan's and just hung out. My mom had before tagged Shannon as having an "outlaw" persona, so he was kind enough to wear an L.A. Penitentiary orange shirt when we went out. One of the things she said she noticed was that I seemed to be in a good "place." She said she could hear it in my voice, and see it in my demeanor and being, if that makes sense. And yes, I guess I am. It's something I've as well noticed over the last few months, during moments of reflection, that my baseline feels good. And, I have a fine-tuned barometer for what's important and what isn't. This is not to say that I don't have my down moments. I'm not immune to feeling the pull of depression on some days. However, I've noticed that the arms that try to yank me toward the abyss have lost a lot of their strength, and I'm able to pull free with far less effort.

On Saturday, our group hosted a show in Los Angeles. First, at Bedrock Studios in Echo Park we partnered with College Battle of the Bands, then later, we put on a "secret show" at Echoplex with The Crystal Method. In checking their site, I see that they have a mention about it there. It was a great event on both fronts, and during the TCM show, I had one of those proud moments of being a part of it, much like the one I had while working on "The Wire." I felt it as Shannon and I danced with the crowd that moved as if commanded to do so by the wicked beats of "Divided By Night," the song from TCM's new CD which they opened with. LA Weekly wrote an article about the event with lots of pics, too.

If any of you want to be apprised of other secret shows in other cities as well as LA, email me directly and I'll send you the links to our Twitter and Facebook pages. Our last event was in Brooklyn with Morningwood. I just love them too, and it was great. Fun to meet all these people and see them in action, and the people at Bedrock Studios were absolutely wonderful, accommodating and helpful. That place is just awesome, and exactly what a creative conglomerate should be. The owners were extremely cool and had previously created the studios that had given the grunge scene a launching pad in Seattle. However, they were humble, sweet, funny and didn't flaunt it. They were musicians themselves who just loved music and those who create it. My boss does a fantastic job of creating these events, as they are his brainchild. We even had the coveted Kogi truck there. Yum Yum.

Okay, it's getting late. Or, early depending how you look at it. I'll keep trying for more frequent and short, controlled bursts when it comes to blogging. I can dream, can't I?