Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My mom came to visit and we had a great time. We ate. A lot. She flew in on her birthday and stayed with me in my weensy apartment with three cats, but did just fine. For some reason, my apartment doesn't feel or smell, thankfully, like cat.

For her official birthday dinner, we ate at a place called Lobster in Santa Monica. My mom wanted a place that looked over the ocean and on short notice, it fit the bill just fine. The next day we had brunch at Aroma with Shannon and luckily avoided the direct sunlight while sitting outside. The temperatures rose to around 100 that day.

I'm keeping this post short because I have a lot of work to do and am fighting off some serious blackness today. The whole job searching thing has gotten to me. I'll admit it. I'm pissed off at the whole process and have been feeling like shit because of it. Mostly, I'm angry at the politics involved and the effort that I put into it with little result. I've been on interviews where I've been scheduled to meet three people but only meet with one, because the others are having a "crazy day." It never ceases to amaze me the minuscule amount of effort companies put in to find the right employees that could help their organization. I drove all the way to Woodland Hills to hear that people couldn't be bothered to walk thirty feet and spend a few minutes with someone whom they asked to come in. The only person that I met was someone who didn't seem to be into the interview at all and barely asked me any questions. When I checked the stats for my online portfolio, they hadn't even looked at it to see my work. People, c'mon already.

I've been suffering from a severe loss in confidence. Not on my personal writing, which thankfully is going well, but in my professional life and the process that can get me from A to B. I'm tired of the fight, the ups and downs, the fits and starts and of being "the copywriter."

Yes, I'm frustrated today. I have a ton to offer and it's been bottled up for too long. I know all this will work out in the end, and the underlying message isn't lost on me. I get it. I know. But I don't have to be happy about wading through the bullshit.

No comments: