Friday, July 18, 2008

Last Sunday, I went to Book Soup to buy a couple books. Book Soup is a great independent book store on Sunset that even before Anne in LA: Part Deux, I shopped in all the time. It's just a great store with a real, pardon the expression, bookstore feel to it. There was a metered spot in front of the place, so I pulled in, and while parking saw that a big black SUV had pulled up and was waiting for the spot. I waived him off to let him know I wasn't leaving and he sped around the corner at breakneck speed. A couple other SUVs followed him at the same rate, but I didn't think anything of it. When I got out of the car, I was met by three or four men on the sidewalk with telephoto lenses and camera equipment slung around their shoulders, clicking away. And then I knew. I had found myself in a paparazzi crush. I stopped, looked to my right and saw a very LA couple making their way towards me. The woman was in big sunglasses and a pretty full length white summer dress, and her boyfriend was very typical LA. Handsome with five o'clock shadow, oxford shirt hanging loose over jeans. I had no clue who they were, but didn't want to get in between them and the rabid paparazzi who had grown by a few numbers. They passed, and a man watching the activity asked me who they were. I shrugged. I walked steps behind them and yep, they turned right into where I was going. A paparazzi was by the door and I stopped, as a knee-jerk reaction I do for anyone taking a photo. Also, I didn't want to get bulldozed. Paparazzi are notorious here for putting that photo first and when looking through a lens can miss that there are other people around. Of course, had that happened they would have been sorry. Surprisingly, his chivalry kicked in and he actually let me pass to go inside.

So who were they? Kate Beckinsale and her husband, director Len Wiseman. Once I was inside, the actress apologized to the woman at the cashier for the activity. The woman told her that it wasn't her fault, that she should be able to shop in peace. I loved the woman at the cashier, as she was a bookish-looking redhead, but pretty, who occasionally turned around and said in a harsh tone through the window, "No. No. Go away," to the paps outside when they got too close. I laughed and told her she sounded like she was scolding a bad dog.

After I found a couple books, I went to pay and noticed another crush.

"Oh dear," I said, and the woman turned around. The couple was still inside so I wasn't sure what was going on until I saw Jeff Goldblum walk in. Maybe Hollywood, like me had just gotten the book itch that day. Goldblum looked great. Fit, tan and healthy with a tad of stubble on the chin.

It wasn't the first time I'd encountered Beckinsale. A few months ago, when I was shopping on Robertson, she had been inside another store that I didn't go into because of the paparazzi crush outside. It was insane.

Update: I found this video of them from that day that illustrates this. And this isn't a bad crush. I'd rate it as small. At the beginning of the video you can see my terrified Honda parked to the left in all its silver glory.

No comments: