Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I'm feeling another urge to purge.

No, I'm not talking about developing an eating disorder but getting rid of even more things in my apartment. I'm sure that it has to do with my impending job completion at the end of April.

I gave away all three of these bookshelves through Craigslist. Sure, I could have sold them, but that's a pain in the ass. The people who ended up taking them were a nice couple from Santa Monica. The woman, a pretty Asian woman and the husband was a cute metrosexual kind of guy. She was a doctor who worked in physical therapy for stroke patients. Not an easy job, and I have a feeling that she has some hefty med school bills that she's still paying off. They seemed like a nice couple and I was happy to see my shelves going into a good home. They were thrilled to get them. Yes, I had someone with me when they came over. What's neat about transactions like that is learning about more souls who inhabit this thing we call life experience alongside us. Had I not advertised these shelves, I wouldn't have come across these two. It's nice to know they're out there.

I bought a new book case from a fantastic store. I've been waiting for another set to come in but they haven't gotten there yet. I'd seen a match to my set, but they already had a sold sticker on them. Now I have to wait until they get more in. They look fabulous in my place and not only hold more, but take up much less space.

Now, I'm finding myself looking for things to toss or give away. I'll be going cabinet by cabinet until I feel I've exhausted the possibilities. I'm careful not to get too overzealous though. I just want things in order and out of my way. I want to simplify my living so that I can free my mind for other things. At the same time, like the new bookshelves, I'm adding things that enhance my own "life experience" for better flow and organization. That includes a bar chair that I use to write. I pull that up, set my laptop on the bar and write. It works, and being higher up helps me keep my concentration better. I don't write my stories on this computer. I don't know why but I can't concentrate here, nor while sitting on my couch with my laptop on my lap. Whatever works, man.

An overcast has rolled in and we may get rain tonight. I'm enjoying the cool weather. We'll have plenty of hot days soon.

No comments: