Thursday, March 13, 2008

I've been keeping up with my workouts and am feeling good about that. I love once again, going to a gym with a little more life knowledge behind me. I watch people who push themselves way too hard with bad form, wanting it all in one day. Then, there are those hoping to be looked at but frightened if you meet their eyes. It's an LA thing that used to bother me but doesn't anymore. If I happen to meet eyes with a prancer, I disarm him with a smile that's non-threatening. Of course, most the people there actually want to work out and so far it's been a nice eclectic group of people. Being an LA gym, it's got its classic LA stereotypes in it, but that's part of the fun. It feels good to go in there and lift things, and to take the spinning classes and feel the sweat escaping my pores. I have a long way to go to tone up and improve my stamina, but I've surprised myself that I wasn't as out of shape as I thought I was.

When I work out, I go into a world. I had a fantastic trainer in Kansas. Yes, you heard that right. Maybe some day I'll elaborate because he was also one of the smartest, most blunt and funniest guys I ever knew. He taught me everything to know about form, the number of reps, working with free weights and to do opposing muscles...and once again form. I can't stress that enough. It's all that matters when using free weights, or doing any kind of exercise, really. So, when I go into a gym, I know my way around even though right now I look like a powder puff. And, I know my limits. I know when my body is saying enough, or "not today," and I listen.

That world I'm speaking about is one that I missed. In a way its sort of meditative. My eyes soften their focus, I'm concentrating and my mind rests. So much, that I almost missed the movie star that pranced in front of me and then planted himself next to me to do his reps. As we stood there, both working our triceps with free weights, our reflections in the mirror, I didn't break form or concentration. I just enjoyed the total LA moment and let it be what it was. Then, switched to the left arm.

The movie star was Jared Leto, for those who are curious. Extremely good looking guy, even in person. My last stint in Los Angeles, I'd seen him at Urth Caffe once as well. It's times like these when I remember that yes, I'm actually living in LA again. And without missing a beat in my workout I smile to myself.

I may buy a new camera this weekend. If any of you have any recommendations on a decent digital I'd be much obliged. I'm not going all out and getting SLR, but would like a point and shoot with a zoom and some bells and whistles. The time has come to replace my old one, as it is a *gasp* not even two megapixel camera.

Shut up.

I'll probably head over to Samy's camera or Best Buy and see what I can find. I love this camera, but it's just not capturing what the new ones can do. And, being here there are so many things to take photos of.

Lastly, check out what my cool neighbors are up to. They've created a web serial, all shot in live action with a digital camera. I'm not kidding when I say their budget for the first six episodes, I think was under $500. They've written, produced and acted in a vampire serial called Shadow Moon Diaries. They also did the music, I think and of course the website. In one of the episodes, you may recognize the rug if you've been checking out my Flickr. I also lent them some of the fabric, (green and gold) for a backdrop. It's the one with the belly dancer in it. The woman, who is the main character is an actress and her husband is the director. Check it out. I'll be putting a permanent link up to it on the sidebar. I think they did a fantastic job. Three cheers to people like them who get a creative itch and decide to scratch it.

No comments: