Monday, October 22, 2007

I mentioned a couple posts back that I'd received some semi-bad news. That news was that the company that I'm working for now, has hired a full-time person for the job that I've been doing for the last four months. I'd applied for the job, and was doing well at it. The job was proofreading DVD packaging for Warner Bros. new releases. It was actually very interesting and I got a great peek into the world of movie marketing and creative services production for a major studio. I also met lots of great people. My last day is October 29th, unless they can find something else for me there. I have low hopes for that.

The reason that I said it was semi-bad news, was that I'd been having second thoughts about the position. I wondered if I was playing it too safe so soon to coming out here. Yes, the job totally worked for me. But I was starting to examine the reasons why it worked and wondered if they were in my best interest. The person who they hired for the job had a straight proofreading resume, where mine is a writing resume. They felt someone who had a strict proofreading copy editing experience was better long run for the department. Though any form of rejection never feels good, I think they are probably right. They said it was a close call, and my boss said she'd give me a recommendation and facilitate meetings with people in editorial. The thing that is irritating is it has me job searching right before the holidays, the worst time in the world to try to find a job.

So, I went out. Shannon and I went to Green Door in Hollywood where he snapped this picture of me.

Me at Green Door in Hollywood

I was wearing a thigh-length new dress straight out of the late '60s, early '70s at a store I just discovered in Hollywood with the coolest clothes EVER. I wore my skinny knee-high Ferragamo boots and matching purse. Shannon looked awesome, embroidered shirt under a cool blazer, totally hipster. We saw David Spade there, who mingled among the crowd. Dude is shorter than I am. There were other famous people there but I have no idea who they were.

We ate, drank, talked, laughed and had a great time. It was a really cool place, French baroque decor with chandeliers and velvet drapes. Total scene, but that's exactly what I wanted. Somewhere to get dressed up and enjoy what LA can offer in that capacity. I'd discovered it when I'd driven by it one night and noted the cool door. After a little research I found the name and away we went. A little past 1 AM, when we left, there was a huge crowd of people waiting to get beyond the velvet rope. The bouncers had to part them to let us out.

Next to it was a huge club with a totally different vibe. We walked around a little before getting the car and passed a man carrying a passed out Asian girl in his arms. We looked, noticed, kept on walking. I'd had three cosmos but was holding my liquor. The ones they made there were smaller and weaker than how Jack makes them. Had I had three of his, Shannon would have been in that guy's position.

There are so many great clubs in Hollywood. Some old, some new. I can't wait to explore more of them. It's definitely the place to go out, offering a noir feel that Sunset doesn't. Sunset hops in its own way, but lacks the edginess of the Hollywood clubs. Perhaps it's the age and art deco architecture of the buildings, and the smaller blocks with so many streets. You can walk around there and feel the history of the place. A couple months ago, one bar that Shannon and I visited, Boardners, was one of the Black Dahlia's haunts. Sure, there are some tacky clubs there for sure. You just have to know where to go to avoid the drunk fighting sorority girls in ass high dresses (well...unless you're into that kind of thing) and guys who are total douche nozzles. It's pretty obvious which ones to avoid.

All aside, I'm still feeling good and look at this as a door opening rather than one closing. I'm trusting my gut, which was already sending me signals before I got the news. Funny how that happens.

No comments: