Monday, May 07, 2007

I arrived in Los Angeles on Saturday. My dad and I drove across country, and he made a super duper traveling companion, even lending his lap to the cats. The dry cleaners will get to hone their hair removal skills when he brings in the khakis he wore. Luckily, he was smart enough to pack one set of clothes that didn't see the light of day until he was out of the car for good. He was great company and it was fun to have a week with my dad and talk and laugh. I can't imagine having done that trip alone after driving it with him.

I'm in a coffee shop, big surprise, that has free wireless. In my apartment, I'm bare bones, waiting for my furniture to arrive on Friday. That includes no internet access. Everyone's signal that I could pick up had passwords on their wireless, smart little users that they are. So, I was happy to learn there was free wireless here. The place is filled with people on their laptops and has a great energy. I already knew about this place as it's one of my favorite in Los Angeles and now it's walking distance from my apartment.

My apartment is directly across the street from Warner Bros. studios. I walk outside and am greeted by Hollywood, along with massive posters of their productions that line the sides of the buildings. I'm in the heart of media central, Universal Studios is blocks from me on the other side, Disney just down the Street from Warner, and so many more that I can't even remember.

My apartment is nothing special but it's clean, convenient and quiet except in the morning when the traffic heads down the street outside my window. That's amplified by the fact that the only barrier in the apartment are the blinds on my windows and made worse by no furniture to lessen the sound. I'm sleeping on Shannon's roll up mat that he lent to me. He came over the first night was was there and when I was testing the new key with him inside, I opened the door to his bare white ass. Cracked me up.

I'm being careful to not fall into many mindsets. One is to rush around and be disorganized. That's for people in their early twenties to do when they come to a place like Los Angeles. The other is to give myself plenty of mental space and stay the course. It's easy to get distracted here and I am going to work on remembering that I know what I'm doing. I also don't think in any way that moving here is going to solve everything. I never thought that. One thing it did solve though, was getting me the heck out of Baltimore. I'll miss my mom and Jack a lot. And there are other people and things that I'll miss. Certainly. But, it wasn't a good fit and there was no way around that.

I'm cutting this post short because there is a lot for me to do. I need to get some sort of food that I don't have to prepare, as I have no dishes, and see where the heck I'm going to put all my furniture when it arrives. I spent an hour at Cingular getting my phone number ported to a local one and adding a land line and Internet service. On the way back, a motorcycle pulled up next to me and the man on it, clad entirely in black leather with black gloves and helmet, saw something on my driver's side mirror and brushed it off. I thought it was great and laughed. I could see that he was smiling through the tinted face shield of his helmet. I was talking to my mom at the time and told her what had just occured. The light turned and the man sped off. His license plate said, "Magcman."

The cats fared better than expected. Bless their little hearts. I'm so glad to have them here. I'm blocks from where I adopted Atticus, so this is really a return home for him. I took Scout in just the other side of the hill in the Hollywood Hills. Someone had abandoned her and a person at the company where I was working sent out an email about her. She went home with me that night.

No comments: