Sunday, April 02, 2006

I bet you've been asking, "Now why don't she write?"

First, let me say that I'm glad my last two posts flushed some of you out of the bushes. I enjoyed your emails and your own stories about GTC, or whatever your respective schools called it. Or, just your stories about grade school. I'll be sure to share some more of mine.

I'm on the last home stretch of my job, which has me tired and without much to say. I have to make sure everything is finished and wrapped up neatly with a bow. My last week is the first week of May and then it's nap time. Oh, and I have jury duty on a day of that last week as well.

We also had our yearly benefit for the Ella Thompson Fund, which was great fun. I had an office mate who was the event coordinator, and it made worlds of difference to have another body in my space. She was lively and funny, and the wife of the script coordinator who is in the office to my right. I do much better with people in my space when I'm at work.

That is of course, the right people. I can't have corporate assholes, rung climbers, humorless fucks, featureless meat, inconsiderate slobs, or just plain bores in my space. Otherwise known as energy vampires. This woman, a hip, former New Yorker who used to work at HBO was just right. Now she's gone and I must face this last month of work alone. That is, in my office. I can see the halves of two bodies and the occasional person walking by, but that's it.

Anyway, the party was fun, and I bought a dress at Neiman Marcus because there isn't really anywhere to shop in Baltimore for such events. Baltimore seems determined to keep their women dowdy. Two cute shops I heard about had closed. Yes, closed. If that isn't telling, I don't know what is.

I accidentally discovered a mall in DC with all high-end stores and went to town trying stuff on. I'd just googled Neimans to get driving directions, thinking I was going to the one where I usually go in DC, but ended up at another one. It was nice to see stores dedicated to brands that I miss dearly, and fun to shop with the clientele. We chatted over frills and heels and talked about our trials and failures. Sometimes it's nice to be surrounded by beauty and chat with people who are on a quest for the same. It's needed, people. We're women. I probably tried on twenty dresses until I found "the one" at yep, Neimans. It's a great dress that I'll wear again and again I'm sure. The day of, I got my hair highlighted and styled in an up do by Missy, my hairstylist, and since it's also a day spa, I had my nails and toes done. I just didn't want to do anything myself, and therefore didn't. The payoff at the end of my princess day was fabulousness. Oh yes.

I've been feeding a stray kitten in the neighborhood for the last few days and was pleased to see today that she has made other neighborhood friends, one being a family who is trying to adopt her. I sat in the park as we tried to coax her into a carrier with the food that I brought, but after an overzealous MICA student tried to shut the door on her too fast, she panicked, hissed and ran. She's leery of people, sometimes growling and hissing, but clearly has had human contact before. I think she was dumped in the park by some ingrate who should be banned from having animals, not to mention, drawn and quartered. I've been socializing her the last few days and making sure she had at least one serving of food and fresh water every day, as well as human kindness. After the student's door faux pas, she was on to us and wouldn't come near the cage. It was so sweet to watch Peter, the son of the family who wants to adopt her, whom I'm guessing to be around eleven or twelve, try to coax her inside. She clearly liked him a lot and I know it's only time before they gain her trust, as I've never seen her as social as she was today. He wants to name her Patches, since she's a long-haired calico. I'm so happy that she's got a bright future in front of her with such a sweet boy and family, as I've been worried. I'm still going to check on her every day. My last endeavor to find a stray a home worked out extraordinarily well. In her case, she found a wonderful home with a neighbor who emails me every now and then to let me know how she's doing.

Sometimes I'm just moved when I hear of animals' plights and feel compelled to do more than just hope things work out.

No comments: