Monday, February 13, 2006

I keep thinking today is Sunday. It might as well be because a blizzard is on its way to us and that rules out any plans for the rest of the weekend. I'll believe it when I see it, as all we have now is a light dusting mixed with larger wet snowflakes. Nothing is sticking, but apparently overnight is when we are going to get the brunt of the storm. I'm at Starbucks now, and the parking lot was full from weather panicked people buying their bread and milk. I actually do need milk, and am going to buy bread pudding. Perhaps that will count as bread. Give me coffee, milk, sugar, Honey Nut Cheerios, my Smart White Cheddar Popcorn, some pasta, Classico sauce and parmesan cheese, and I'm good for a few days. It's the stir craziness that is the hardest to deal with, as I learned my first winter here in Baltimore where we were socked with 27 inches of snow and an unprepared city.

I got a call at work yesterday from my mom telling me that she had to have stitches. Because she was the one calling me, she was obviously ok, but it was unnerving. I'd been having a fear in the last couple of days of getting a phone call that my mom had been seriously injured… or worse. Of course, I imagined a kitchen accident, not that she'd been on a ladder doing something at the church, slipped and split her head open on the altar. She was by herself in the church area, but managed to walk downstairs to the offices, bleeding a ton, saying that she needed help. They drove her to the emergency room where the doctor put three staples in her head. The gash was three inches long. She added, annoyed, "and I'd just had my hair cut." Apparently, they didn't have to shave any hair from her head. They just stapled. I haven't seen it yet, but will see it tonight when I bring over the said bread pudding and cream. The milk is for yours truly to have for her delicious coffee that she brought back from Mexico.

I just looked outside and the snow has indeed picked up. I think it's going to be sporadic though until night fall. Still, nothing is sticking. Again, probably won't until nightfall.

I half watched the opening ceremonies last night, as I cleaned, but stopped for a few moments to fully watch the Ferrari, the lighting of the flame and Pavarotti. The man rocked the house. What a talent above all talent to be able to carry a note like that, and such power to his voice. He brought me to tears.

It did end up snowing a hell of a lot. I went to Starbucks on Sunday because I just had to get out. Luckily, the city was prepared and the streets were plowed. After getting my "out" time, I went home and mulled around the house a bit, then decided to rest. I turned on the space heater on my night table and snuggled into bed. It was still light out, but it was dead quiet outside. The city, and much of the east coast for that matter, was resting as well. A few minutes later, the cats thought I had a good thing going and hopped up on the bed. They snuggled up beside me, Scout purring and sniffing at my face beforehand, their two warm bodies shifting as they burrowed into their cozy spots, then were still. It was absolute contentment. I had nothing I had to do, nowhere that I had to be and the house was clean. The warm air from the heater petted my face and its soft whir lulled me into a relaxed state. Outside it was bitter and cold, but inside I rested in my own little heaven.

No comments: