Friday, November 18, 2005

I joined my former Barnes and Noble coworkers at the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire midnight showing and had a great time. Before that, I joined my current coworkers at another benefit that we hold yearly for the Ella Thompson fund. Our actors work as bartenders and serve it up to the customers. The cover charge is ten dollars and all tips go to the fund. To add to the pot, there was a raffle. It was crowded, great fun, and I managed to get my customary cosmopolitan in, even though I was there for a relatively short time. Everyone was having a great time, lively chatter filled the room mixed with the low bass of the music, laughter, clinking glasses, shout outs, and bar stools being pushed across the floor. Anwan Glover, who plays Slim Charles on our show asked me if he could get my drink. I told him I was already helped, then giggled at the thought of the 6'5 Slim Charles making me a girlie drink. Instead, I had one of the regular bartenders make it and spared him the task.

We had a great turnout with the actors and it was just a fun, good-natured time, all while helping the charity. The actors all looked so cute behind the bar, for lack of a better word, but that just fits.

Afterward, it was wizards, witches and dragons. We got our seats early and it was good to chat and laugh with my old coworkers from the bookstore as we waited for midnight to pass and the lights to darken. The movie was great of course, with both funny and dark moments in it. It had been a long time since I read Goblet of Fire, so I didn't remember a lot of the plot points. It amazes me how the visual artists who work on that film so aptly interpret the scenery and visuals from the book. It's as if they took it out of what I imagined when I read the books. I attribute that to some great descriptions and storytelling by Ms. Rowling.

I got home at 3:30 in the morning and am sure to be feeling it very soon. It wasn't fun getting up this morning, and even less fun to step outside into the cold air. Winter weather took a while to get here, but I do think it's finally arrived. I'm not ready for it. Not at all.

Neither were the cats.

For the first time, they decided to forgo their shadowing of me and chirping and chattering at my ankles as I readied for work. Instead, they stayed huddled on the bed and looked at me like I was a complete asshole for getting out of that perfectly good warm spot. I didn't disagree with them. The first really cold morning is always a shock. Soon, we'll be back to our routine.

We have three work days next week and then two paid days off for Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to the break and having a few days to sleep in. I also meet with Jack's friend over that weekend about my personal projects. It should be very interesting and I hope to gain some insight into the steps that I need to take. Jack is going to accompany me, but as he said, it will be my show.

I'm ready to be the Master of Ceremonies.

No comments: