Sunday, October 02, 2005

I'm writing this post under the nice haze of a Cosmopolitan. I guess the bars have been skimping on the alcohol, because whenever I have a homemade one, I get buzzed. Out in the world, it can take two. That, or the people who make them for me make 'em strong. Anyway, I'm buzzed, but aware. I have yet to make my own.

Now, I sit with my one of my cats on my desk, in my bra and jeans, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's peanut butter cup ice cream in front of me. Really, I could just sleep, but the blog needs a post and it's already Sunday night.

I found out last week that my street will soon be invaded. Yes, invaded. I saw a couple of white vans stop on my corner and a bunch of people with notebooks get out and check out the neighborhood. They were pointing, talking, and looking at the rowhouses, including my own. I thought they were Mormons, then remembered that Mormons rode bikes, at least the ones that come to our neighborhood. Then, I thought they were another religious group of some sort. I was leaving for Starbucks to get in some quiet away from home time after work, and asked them what they were up to. They were scouting location for the Warner Bros. movie, Invasion, starring Nicole Kidman. "Oh," I said, "I thought you were Mormons." They got a laugh out of that.

They are going to shoot on my corner for some exterior night shots. Meaning, no sleep for anyone whose bedroom faces the street. They are also filming inside a rowhouse down the street from me which will be for interior shots. On my walk on Friday, I saw the set dressing people loading furniture into the place. I didn't ask them if they were Mormons.

Invasion, which is a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, changed it's name to The Visiting, since there is a TV show that beat them to the punch. There were several parts for which they were casting locally, but I chickened out. The girl whom I helped get the casting internship encouraged me to try, but in the end I didn't have the guts. Maybe next time. The same casting director that casts our show is casting the local parts for Invasion, and I think it would be a fun thing to do, but I find the concept nerve-racking as hell. Plus, I don't know if I could stop laughing. Perhaps if I ever decide to do it, I'll have a Cosmo beforehand. A homemade one.

I drove to Washington, DC on Saturday to try my hand at shopping. I almost went to New York today just for the novelty of visiting two major US cities in a weekend. I would have trained it to New York, the ride being about two and a half hours. The drive to DC was less than an hour. I shopped around some major department stores and found they were a bit watered down for my taste. I've gotten really pissed at the shopping here, so have a trip to New York planned in the near future. I thought DC would at least offer some reprieve, but I wasn't impressed with the variety.

Last time I was in New York, I went to Macy's to kill some time before my train and was really impressed with the selection. Ever since, I've vowed to go on a shopping only trip to load up for fall. I wasn't in the mood on Saturday, and decided against it on Sunday too. Perhaps next weekend.

Now, off to bed before this wonderful buzz wears off.

No comments: