Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Wow, what a storm. Complete devastation in Mississippi. New Orleans is still being flooded as I type this. A 200 foot break in a levy pours water into the city. It's going to take months for people to get back into their homes. As I typed my last entry, I couldn't help thinking, as I sat in my dry and comfortable apartment, that someone was going to die that night. Sure, every night, minute, second, someone dies, but the people I was thinking about were going to be killed by a storm. And as alive as I was typing on my blog, so were they. But, because of nature, they wouldn't be within 24 hours.

One of our producers here lives in New Orleans and doesn't know the status of his home. His daughter is here in the office, as the family had to evacuate. They also have a place in New York City, since he is an executive producer for Law & Order and works out of there part of the year. I'm guessing the daughter is about ten, very confident and articulate with a happy energy. Immediately likeable. It's nice to have people's kids come into the office as it adds a nice energy, and I get to see the people I work with in a different light as parent, adding more depth to them. So far, the kids that have come into the office have been great. I can see why, because the people here are very good people. Proof that you don't have to be an asshole to be successful in entertainment, nor do you have to spawn brats.

We're supposed to get strong thunderstorms today, and the remnants of Katrina are headed our way. That will probably come Wednesday or Thursday in the form of rain or gloom.

I got a deep tissue massage on Sunday, opting for an hour and a half since I was way overdue for one. I'm going to have another one this weekend to work out more kinks, but this time just for an hour. It's part of the investment I've decided to put into my body to become more healthy. When it comes down to it, our health is all us humans have, and I'm going to try to do a little better with mine. I may try to do yoga, and I'm going to check out the gyms in town. I'm very picky with gyms, and have a low tolerance for bullshit. I get very leery if I see too many people in thongs prancing around or some short beeftard who gives me an impersonal spiel that is as canned as the liquid protein he drinks daily. When it comes to gyms, I can spot BS a mile away since I got into the best shape of my life in a bare bones no frills gym without all the dressing. The one difference, the owner was there and taught you how to work out properly and effectively. I also worked a stint at that gym. There is such a gym here, and I've been meaning to check it out. I don't think they help you work out, but it's no frills, no thongs, and I already know how to work out thanks to Charles. It's a pay as you go gym, or you can buy weekly or monthly. That's what I'm talking about.

I think exercising will help my motivation in other aspects as well. I felt like a million bucks when I was doing it regularly, and my body responds quickly and well to it. Hopefully this means I'm on a trek to start treating my body well again. After all, it's not like I'm going to get another one.

No comments: