Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Our one week hiatus is next week, meaning nine whole days without work. It snuck up on me, so I haven't thought about how I'm going to spend it. Perhaps updating some things on this blog, definitely throwing more stuff away, and certainly painting, writing, or drawing.

It's official, I've begun looking for work in Los Angeles. It's going to take a while, perhaps a very long time, so this hiatus will also be spent sending my resume to potential employers to see the feedback that I get. Sort of like fishing in a stream to see if the lure I'm using is effective. I'm going to be very careful on selecting a job when that happens, and not just pick up and leave. I have so many things to consider. And because I'm a "sensitive," I will once again say that I must be very very careful.

One of the ways that I'm doing that is by tailoring my resume to reflect me, and not some cold fish. I did that with the resume that got the attention of the creator and executive producer of the show that I'm on now, and this job has worked out. In fact, my first week, a bunch of people from production came up and introduced themselves to me, saying, "we wanted to meet the person who had the guts to send a resume like that out," also mentioning that it was well done and made them laugh. Apparently, it had been passed around and enjoyed by many people.

I used to worry so much about my resume and if it said the right things. There are books written on the subject, many that I sold to customers when I worked at Barnes and Noble. I used to work as an editorial producer at CareerPath.com, now Careerbuilder.com, so I know my shit when it comes to resumes and job searching. Also, if it isn't obvious by now to those who read this blog, I have a passion for path finding.

So, when I looked at my resume and realized that it said nothing about me, I changed it to best represent me in my absence. I make light of my experience, showing that I did my job effectively, but also had a good time. The humor is not overpowering, but subtle. And, not "all over" the resume. It peeks out in places, keeping the reader interested and looking for more. Some people will appreciate the unconventional resume, others will not. I don't want to work for those who don't, and therefore it will save me the time and stress of a job interview. There is nothing worse than going on a job interview knowing from your first step inside the door that the place isn't for you. Usually, when the place is too freezing, drably decorated with employees crated in cubicles, who are all too happy that their fabric-coated half walls separate them from having to look at another human being, that's a good sign that I don't belong there.

When I walk through a workplace, I look at so many things. Being a sensitive, you can't help it. I look at clothes, desk decorations, lighting, listen to what radio stations are playing, decor, and the receptionist. Are they hip, or someone who has fallen victim to secretary spread so much that their ample ass is permanently embossed with the Herman Miller Aeron logo? Do I walk through a cloud of cheap cologne or perfume with every desk that I pass? Does the person who is interviewing me measure up or remind me of the snarky school librarian? Does the place have life, and flow? At this point in my life, when I go to a job interview, I'm interviewing them. And that's what my resume does. If they don't have a sense of humor, it weeds them out.

The job that I have now was the first time that I'd sent out the resume, and it was successful. While I'd like to think that my genius was so apparent that the first person who saw it grabbed me up to work for them for fear of losing me, I know it isn't. The timing was right, and that won't be the case in all openings. It's going to be a long trek, but one that I'm willing to make.

No comments: